A Dystopian I actually liked. :)

Pawn  - Aimee Carter

Okay, so I don’t really read to many dystopian novels. I have found that on an average I just don’t really like them. I don’t see what the whole appeal is because they all seem to be sort of the same.  I decided to give this one a try because I like the author and I have read her Goddess Test series. I have seen a lot of mixed reviews about Pawn so my curiosity got the  better of me.  I actually enjoyed Pawn, though it didn’t scream GREAT, I still enjoyed it.

Kitty Doe is really smart, but she just can’t seem to get a handle on reading. Because of this she doesn’t do so well on her test, the big test that determines your class in society. She didn’t have time to finish the test and still got a III, so we can guess that she would have probably at least gotten a IV or V if she would have had time to finish it. Being a III doesn’t get you the good jobs or a decent life, but it could have been worse.

They are going to send her to work the sewers in Denver and that is way to far away and she doesn’t want to leave her boyfriend Benji behind. She decides to follow her friend Tab and sell herself at a club so she could stay in DC instead of going to Denver. Her boyfriend is not keen on this idea, but he can’t stop her. Kitty has different looking eyes, and they are the color of Lila Hart. Lila Hart is part of the Prime Ministers family and they are the only people allow to be VII’s.

Because of her unusual eyes she is bought by the prime minister and he has a proposition for her but he doesn’t fill her in on all the information. He just says “How would you like to be a VII?” Now Kitty knows there is a catch but if you had the choice between being a III and selling your body or being a VII and living in luxury you would probably say yes as well.

Kitty goes with him and is knocked out and when she awakes she finds out that she has been masked. She now looks and talks like Lila Hart. The prime minister and his family will do anything in their power to stay in power. They don’t even care if they have to kill off their own family members, but they don’t want anyone to know. That is where Kitty comes in, she will become Lila Hart. The people love Lila and wouldn’t like it if they knew she was dead.

Everything Kitty does will dictate whether she lives or dies. She knows that they could just as easily get rid of her as they did the real Lila. Celia is Lila’s mother and she wants Kitty’s help to lead a rebellion, to do what Lila was doing before she was killed.  Kitty has learned the hard way what the prime minister Daxton will do to make sure she does what he wants, so she is not sure she wants to rebel.

Knox is Lila’s fiance but can he be trusted. He wants to help Kitty and says that he will do what ever he can to keep Benji safe, but he has his secrets. All Kitty knows is that she will do what ever she has too to keep her and Benji from getting killed.

I really like Kitty, she has a lot of spunk. It would be really hard to wake up and realize you look like someone else and then having everyone tell you what you are going to do and if you don’t you could be killed or your boyfriend could be killed. I really didn’t feel that we got to know enough about Benji for me to decide if I like him or not. I hope we get more of him in the second book. Knox, right now he is sort of iffy. I do sort of like him but he is so untrustworthy as he seems to play both sides to much. I can clearly see his motives, so that is why I am still not sure about him.

Augusta and Daxton are very good villains and I can’t stand them!! I love how Kitty handled Daxton at the end of the book!!!

Over all, it wasn’t real different than a lot of other dystopians so maybe I just like this authors writing style, or I was just up for a dystopian. I think for me they are just hit and miss and I just happen to like this one and I can’t wait to see what happens next in Captive.

I heard it’s a lot like Selection  but I haven’t read that book, so I won’t know. If you like Dystopian novels then you might like this one.

Source: http://www.booksmoviesreviewsohmy.com/review-of-pawn